There are loads of attractions in Iceland, which are worth the visit. However, they are all so far away from each other that it is difficult to see everything within a few days. Therefore, I have made a list of the most important sightseeing in Iceland. If you are still not sure what to do in Iceland, check out the travel agency, Katla Travel. The agency is specialised into traveling to Iceland. The very warm and friendly employees helped me with my trip, too.
First of all, rent a car!
You will definitely save time and see more than going on tours with a tour company. I know that it can get quite expensive but if you follow the following steps, it will be cheaper!
- Pre-book your car online and use a voucher code to reduce the actual price. I decided to use the company, Hertz.
- For those who need an automatic car (like me!!!), make sure that you book your car in advance. They are gone really quickly. I had a Kia Sportage, which was perfect!
- Don’t forget that gas will get expensive. Travel with friends and share the gas!
- Plan your route before you go on the trip.
- Don’t forget that the actual sun hours in Iceland aren’t long during winter time. So be careful with your time!
Where to go?
- Golden Circle Tour
- Another route would be to go to:
- Seljalandsfoss Waterfall
- Skógafoss Watefall
Travel along the south coast and experience the beautiful spots for taking unique pictures, as well as several fascinating waterfalls. The breath-taking Seljalandsfoss waterfall has a magnificent size and force alone. You are able to walk up behind the waterfall and right in front of it.
The Skógafoss Waterfall is just another 25 minute drive and you will see a stunning waterfall, which almost always has a rainbow. It is great for taking pictures. You can walk up on the top of the waterfall for a better view. The glaciers are also close by.
30 minutes further, you will find a small village, which leads to the black sand beach, called Reynisdrangar. On your way to it, you will see beautiful horses, sheep and a great landscape.
Important essentials for your trip
- Waterproof shoes
- Warm clothes
- Rain jacket (I wish I had one!!!!)
- Earmuffs (Highly important because of the wind!!!)